Thursday, February 5, 2015

Know Your Audience

I had high hopes of the Know Your Audience assignment last week. I was severely disappointed once the questions and answers started rolling in though. I guess I was expecting more depth. Most of the questions and practically all of the answers were basic and generic. What is your biggest fear, favorite color, animal, place, memory.. etc. are all small talk questions. They barely scratch the surface of who a person really is. There were a couple of actual questions asked that required a point of view or an opinion. A real chance to let you mind be known in an environment where niceties are expected at all times. Unfortunately even these questions were responded to by an overwhelming  "I don't really pay attention to and/or care about that stuff". Disappointing. I even tried to get the conversations going, get a reaction, a reply, anything! My questions and replies remain unanswered. At this point, the only conclusion I can come to about my peers is that they are either the dullest group of people to ever be gathered together, or most of them would just like to get through this class by doing the bare minimum. I sincerely hope I'm wrong either way.

1 comment:

  1. What questions and answers disappointed you and why? What do you mean by basic and generic? How much do we need to know about our audience? Is it possible that your audience is represented by the questions posed and the answered given. I often wonder if the niceties are merely a mask for what lies underneath. It is not surprising to me that you were not able to urge more of a discussion. In spite of the requirements given, many students see the discussion boards as tasks rather than communities. It often takes most of the semester to watch that emerge with good students leading the way and continue to push their peers to interact. It is always interesting. When analyzing, be specific and offer up the evidence to back up your point. Use the text as much as needed. Nice post. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete