Tuesday, February 24, 2015

02/24/15

I am not a morning person.

I used to be when I was younger. I would awake early with a smile on my face, completely ready for the day. There was none of the grouchy, hung-over feelings that I experience these days. That's not to say that I am literally hung over every morning, but rather, I feel as if I am. I'm not sure when the change occurred. Perhaps it was when I had children, and forever left the realm of sleeping soundly. Perhaps it was due to my gradual increase in caffeine dependency. Waking up to withdraws, like a drug addict looking for a fix. Completely incapable of rational thought until body gets what it craves. Maybe the shift took place while I was working as a bartender. My shift started at 6pm, the bar closed at 2am. After cleaning up I would leave around 3, and get home by 4am. Then it was up at 6 to get the kids ready for school, and I had a toddler at home so there was no napping during the day while everyone was gone. I held that schedule for 2 years. For 2 years I ran on virtually no sleep, fueled only by caffeine, nicotine, and the euphoria of making $400 in one night.

Maybe its all of the above. Or none of the above.

Maybe I'm just another day closer to being that grouchy old man sitting on my front porch, scowling at kids and forever complaining.

Maybe old men are grouchy because they don't get enough sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment