Saturday, January 24, 2015

Jung Typology

ENFJ. That is my result. How do I even begin talking about this personality test? For starters, there wasn't anything in the results I didn't already know myself. Because I know myself. I've known since I was a small child that I was an empath, but I have also been called a chameleon multiple times over the years by several people. I portray an extrovert to the outside world, but I know at heart I am the opposite. Its no act, I really am social and outgoing. I default into leadership roles time and time again. And this, I have realized, is due to my uncanny ability to "read" people. I can feel what they feel, and just know what they need from me that they aren't saying. And I, in turn, provide that if I'm willing.
I'm really struggling to write this all out. I'm not good at talking about myself, and even worse at exposing what is actually going on in my brain. It not only feels narcissistic, but an invasion of privacy. How do you explain intuition to those who don't experience it much? How do I convince that logic, although imperative, is not decisive in my choices? How do I describe the chaos of my mind to anyone but myself?
This personality type can be beneficial in most areas of my life, but when it specifically comes to writing, it can be hindering. If a book or article is well written, I am able to feel what the author is portraying. They literally become my own emotions and therefore I can write about the topic with ease. However, if I am just given a topic to write about, one that I have zero interest in, the result is choppy and forced. I can't "fake it till I make it" as the saying goes. Writing isn't a learned skill for me, it is a form of expression that is used when I need it.
See, this probably makes no sense.

1 comment:

  1. I always try to tell students not to invade their own privacy then give writers the room they need to explore. I hope you have found this to be your experience this semester. Good reflection. ~ Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete